Now Available: CBGB
DIGITAL DELUXE SOUNDTRACK TO FORTHCOMING MOVIE
Features 33 Songs By CBGB Pioneers Talking Heads, Television, Dead Boys, Joey Ramone, Richard Hell & The Voidoids, The Velvet Underground, The Stooges, MC5, The Police, And More, Plus A New Version Of "Sunday Girl" By Blondie
By the end of 1973, New York City was bankrupt, Watergate had compromised the credibility of the U.S. government, and the Carpenters were the best-selling young recording act in America. Rock 'n' roll was dead! The story of Hilly Kristal and his legendary club that put the punk back in rock will come to movie theaters this October when CBGB hits the big screen. Rhino will release both a standard and deluxe version of CBGB: ORIGINAL MOTION SOUNDTRACK digitally on October 8. On the same day, Omnivore Recordings will release the soundtrack on CD and double-LP, with a limited edition first pressing on translucent pink vinyl.
The film features an all-star ensemble cast headed by Alan Rickman (the Harry Potter series, Die Hard), who plays Kristal. Co-starring with Rickman are Malin Akerman (The Proposal, Suburgatory), Ryan Hurst (Sons of Anarchy), Ashley Greene (The Twilight series), Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory), Stana Katic (Castle), Freddy Rodriguez (Planet Terror, Six Feet Under), Rupert Grint (the Harry Potter series), Mickey Sumner (Francis Ha), Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters), Donal Logue (Grounded For Life), Richard DeKlerk (Repeaters), Bradley Whitford (West Wing) and Joel David Moore (Avatar). CBGB is written and produced by Jody Savin and Randall Miller and directed by Miller (Bottle Shock). The movie, distributed by XLrator Media, opens in theaters in New York and Los Angeles and other select cities on October 11.
CBGB: ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK is an essential collection of songs that defined the punk movement. The standard edition features 20 classics of original American punk and new wave, many rarely compiled or unavailable for years. Rhino's deluxe version (available as a digital exclusive) expands the standard track list for a total of 33 iconic tracks.
The soundtrack contains music from influential artists who informed the scene (The Velvet Underground, The Stooges and MC5) as well as acts who broke through to huge commercial acclaim (Talking Heads, Blondie and The Police). And there's even music from bands whose legendary status will forever be linked to the club that gave them a voice (Dead Boys, Television, Wayne County, The Dictators and more).
Hilly Kristal dreamed of running a country and blues bar in the Bowery. Instead, the club he opened, CBGB (Country, Bluegrass, Blues) became the birthplace of punk and underground music. CBGB was the modern-day salon for the disenfranchised youth of New York City and Kristal offered these young local bands a stage.
The album contains a performance by Kristal ("Birds and the Bees") and a new version of "Sunday Girl" by Blondie.
CBGB Soundtrack - Deluxe Digital Exclusive Version
1. Life During Wartime - Talking Heads
2. Kick Out the Jams - MC5
3. Chatterbox - New York Dolls
4. Careful - Television
5. Blank Generation - Richard Hell & The Voidoids
6. Slow Death - Flamin' Groovies
7. I Can't Stand It - The Velvet Underground
8. Out of Control - Wayne County & The Electric Chairs
9. Psychotic Reaction - The Count Five
10. All For the Love of Rock 'n' Roll (Live) - Tuff Darts
11. All By Myself - Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers
12. California Sun (Original Demo) - The Dictators
13. Caught With the Meat in Your Mouth - Dead Boys
14. I Got Knocked Down (But I'll Get Up) - Joey Ramone
15. Get Outta My Way - The Laughing Dogs
16. Sunday Girl (2013 Version) - Blondie
17. I Wanna Be Your Dog - The Stooges
18. Sonic Reducer - Dead Boys
19. Roxanne - The Police
20. Birds and the Bees - Hilly Kristal
21. Ain't Nothin To Do - Dead Boys*
22. 1969 - The Stooges*
23. Psycho Killer - Talking Heads*
24. Maquee Moon - Television*
25. Oh Yeah - The Shadows Of Night*
26. All Hell Breaks Loose - Misfits*
27. Mean Machine - The Cramps*
28. Bordeline - MC5*
29. Lexicon Devil - Germs*
30. Who Wants An Ugly Girl? - Tom Tom Club*
31. Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely - Hüsker Dü*
32. Jocko Homo - Devo*
33. Fun City - Tuff Darts*
*Exclusive to deluxe digital version