Now Streaming: Prince, ORIGINALS
One of the coolest things about Prince – and rest assured that the list of cool things about Prince is a long and formidable one – was the way he would offer up some of his songs to other artists.
Granted, many of those songs were given to folks who were signed to his own label, Paisley Park Records, but it doesn’t change the fact that they were awesome songs. And what of those artists who weren’t part of his label’s roster? Who can forget the surprise they felt when they first discovered that Prince had written “Manic Monday,” or when they discovered that he’d penned a tune for Kenny Rogers?
Now, fans are able to hear Prince’s own versions of these tunes, thanks to the release of ORIGINALS, which is in stores today. The tracks in question were selected by Troy Carter – the designated representative of The Prince Estate – and JAY-Z, and while you may not recognize all of ‘em, you’ll certainly recognize a lot of ‘em...and the ones you don’t know, well, now you’ve got a chance to get to know them!
ORIGINALS is now available digitally and on CD, and on July 19th you’ll be able to pick up a 180-gram 2-LP set as well as a limited-edition Deluxe CD+2-LP set.
Want to see the full track listing? Here it is, and we’ve listed the song titles as well as the artists who originally released them:
1. Sex Shooter (Apollonia 6: Apollonia 6 – 1984)
2. Jungle Love (The Time: Ice Cream Castle – 1984)
3. Manic Monday (The Bangles: Different Light – 1985)
4. Noon Rendezvous (Sheila E.: The Glamorous Life – 1984)
5. Make-Up (Vanity 6: Vanity 6 – 1982)
6. 100 MPH (Mazarati: Mazarati – 1986)
7. You're My Love (Kenny Rogers: They Don't Make Them Like They Used To – 1986)
8. Holly Rock (Sheila E.: Krush Groove (OST) – 1985)
9. Baby, You're a Trip (Jill Jones: Jill Jones – 1987)
10. The Glamorous Life (Sheila E.: The Glamorous Life – 1984)
11. Gigolos Get Lonely Too (The Time: What Time Is It? – 1982)
12. Love... Thy Will Be Done (Martika: Martika's Kitchen – 1991)
13. Dear Michaelangelo (Sheila E.: Romance 1600 – 1985)
14. Wouldn't You Love to Love Me? (Taja Sevelle: Taja Sevelle – 1987)
15. Nothing Compares 2 U (The Family: The Family – 1985)
For more information, click the buttons below: